Funding Agreement – Academies


Funding Agreement

This stage the process involves completing all of the legal documentation which relates to governance, land transfer and company registration. You will need to finalise the governance documents using the DfE models provided and register the Academy Trust with Companies House, as well as agreeing leasing arrangements for the school land and buildings.

The transfer of staff under the Transfer of Undertakings Regulations (TUPE) is also a vital part of this process and a TUPE consultation will need to be carried out by the current employer of the school staff – usually the local authority or governing body. Lastly, you will need to submit the funding agreement to the Secretary of State, who will then approve this and make an ‘Academy Order’. During this process we can offer a range of support, including:

  • Assisting you in completing your governance documents and the registration with Companies House
  • Supporting you in the completion of the funding agreement
  • Putting you in touch with appropriate professionals who will support you in legal matters and TUPE
  • Giving guidance on expected costs for these legal services
  • Helping you with the TUPE process including essential one-to-one interviews with staff
  • Working with you to compile lists of elements that will need to be transferred – such as contracts, service level agreements and licences held
  • Providing advice and support on updating your school branding and website, to reflect your new Academy status